Delaware Texas Holdem
Delaware is one of the three states in the US that allows territory locked online poker. Because of this there's a small poker scene which is doing very well. Recently, they've gone even further and now allow online players to play across state lines with people in Nevada.
Each live poker venue has their own online poker room also, allowing players to transition between the two, which is cool.
Gambling is legal in the state and they've certainly taken a common sense approach to how they allow it. It's highly regulated and licenses are required, which is always a good thing. This makes it much safer to play.
Due to the small population of the state, at just under 1 million, they only have three casinos which offer poker. These are Delaware Park, Dover Downs, and Harrington. These all have casino table games, slots, and a race track at the venue as well. This is a great thing as it attracts new players and amateurs to the game which is vital for the poker economy.
On top of poker and the casino games we've just mentioned, you can also play bingo, lottery, and bet on sports in the state. They've also legalised online casinos so you can play all of your favorite games such as roulette, blackjack, and craps online.
The main poker variant in Delaware, like pretty much every other state, is no limit Texas holdem. Most tournaments are holdem with a few small exceptions and you'll be able to find the odd Omaha cash game here and there. Some limit Texas holdem is also played in the three poker rooms.
Delaware was a big travel destination for interstate poker players because of their relaxed poker laws. However, this has now dried up a little bit because of the legalisation of poker in other states and the fact a few larger rooms have opened. The scene here is still good though, and it's well worth a visit just to play poker alone.
Delaware is a great example of poker done well. Poker rooms are in each of the three major cities in the state and they also have online poker attached to them. Because they link up with Nevada we can only hope that more states will follow suit and regulate poker and allow players to link up across states. This is what will bring online poker back from the dead in America, and Delaware is leading the way in this respect.
List of Delaware Texas Holdem Poker Rooms
- LocationWilmington, Delaware
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesFor the cash players, they spread $1 / $2 and $2 / $5 no limit Texas holdem, $1 / $ pot limit Omaha high, $2 / $4 and $4 / $8 limit Texas holdem and $4 / $8 limit Omaha 8 or better. If you are looking for a tournament you will find up to four each day with the main game being no limit hold'em. The buy in will fluctuate from $40 to $150. On top of these they also have free roll tournaments for frequent players or those who have bought in to other tournaments regularly.
- AmbienceThis old school poker room is decked out in brown and wooden tones with green, red and yellow pattern carpet and green felt tables. The room is spacious and is fully no smoking for your comfort. Aside from this the decor is quite plain with basic ceilings and not much in the way of decorations. It is well lit though and they have TVs fixed to the walls around the room to keep you entertained while you play.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps while you play cash here through the Player Rewards Club at a rate of 40 cents per hour. On top of this they also offer food and cocktail service at the table so you'll never miss a hand. To keep you coming back for more they also have a high hand prize during certain times.
- PlayersYou'll find good action in this poker room on most days of the week. The tables soften up in the evening and generally you'll find one to two regulars at the table along with one to two weak players and the rest decent amateurs. The higher the stakes you play the tougher the tables will become for you. Overall the vibe is friendly and welcoming with dealers going out of their way to make you feel comfortable. This is mirrored by the regulars at the table which is great for the game and the poker economy.
Dover Downs Casino
- LocationDover, Delaware
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesYou'll find up to three no limit hold'em tournaments in this room each day with the buy in ranging from $10 to $50. For the cash players, they spread $1 / $2 and $2 / $5 no limit Texas holdem and $2 / $4 limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room features green felt tables amongst a predominantly white decor. The room itself is open and spacious with TVs along the walls showing all the live sports games and the lighting in the room is adequate for longer sessions.
- HospitalityYou will be served cocktails and food at the table here so you need never miss a hand. On top of this they also offer players comps at a rate of $1 per hour through the Capital Club rewards program. One nice bonus is this is available to players both in cash games and tournaments. Finally, they also run high hand, bad beat and royal flush promotions at certain times during the week.
- PlayersThe cash games in this poker room are quite slow most of the time and as such you'll find much better action in the tournaments. Dealers are a bit hit and miss here with some too busy chatting with regulars to focus on what they should be doing. This is rare though with most being great at their job. The fact a few other poker rooms have opened in nearby states has meant that you won't find the action in this room that you used to.
Harrington Raceway & Casino
- LocationHarrington, Delaware
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesNo limit Texas holdem tournaments are held on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday with the buy in ranging from $60 to $85. Cash wise you will find $1 / $2 no limit hold'em tables running most of the time.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room is in a race track complex, upstairs and away from the rest of the casino noise, and features clean felt tables amongst a basic and modern decor with colorful patterned carpets. The room is spacious, well-lit, and you'll be able to see a TV from most spots on the table so you can keep yourself entertained while the guy in the hijack tanks.
- HospitalityComps can be earned in this poker room while you play cash games at a rate of $1 per hour through the casino Players Club. On top of this they will service you cocktails and food at the table so you can keep your session running that little bit longer. You'll also be in the running for a range of jackpots and promotional prizes while you play.
- PlayersYou'll come across mostly locals at the table in this poker room. The play will be a bit slow during the week and will improve when there's racing on and on weekends. They run a series of tournaments which can provide some great value due to the soft play. If you are playing cash take your time and assess the table for a few orbits before making moves.
One of the few states that allow both live poker room and online Texas holdem play, Delaware is a great place to live if you play poker. Visit one of the three state licensed land based casinos or log in from home to get in a game right away.